Casting the deployment truss assembly

The mold was straightforward enough to do. A bit tricky to decide where to put the seams but I think I got it pretty well in the end.

Casting was another beast to handle. I had to cut the mold into a 4 piece mold to make sure that it did not break when the part was removed. I had a lot of trouble getting the small parts of the uplock strut to come out good. A lot of small channels and tweaks had to be cut into the mold to make it work. A late evening indeed…

At the time I had my fourth Truss assembly I had got the failure rate down to about 3:1.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.